Hygiene & Sanitation Promotion using PHAST, CLTS and CHAST approaches
About the Course
Hygiene promotion plays a key role in changing collective and individual behaviours together with fostering ownership and sustainable use of water and sanitation facilities. It is upon this premise that IDEAL Public Health and Development Consultancy (IPHDC) has planned to conduct a PHAST, CLTS and CHAST training of trainers. This training is intended to help sector practitioners to accelerate their progress towards achieving their overall and specific project objectives, national targets and contribute towards the realization of global targets such as SDG target 6.2 (By 2030, achieve access to adequate and equitable sanitation and hygiene for all and end open defecation, paying special attention to the needs of women and girls and those in vulnerable situations) and 6.b (Support and strengthen the participation of local communities in improving water and sanitation management).
Programme staff of humanitarian and development agencies including project managers, officers, assistants, health workers, hygiene promoters, public health officers and facilitators.
- To build the capacity of trainees to impart knowledge to their community on prevention of diarrhoeal diseases and other water and hygiene related diseases.
- To equip trainees with practical facilitation skills of PHAST, CHAST and CLTS approaches.
- To enable trainees formulate appropriate health promotion messages using the BCC strategy.
- To provide the trainees with the monitoring and evaluation formats for the three hygiene promotion approaches.
- Concepts of community participation, ownership and sustainability.
- Concepts of hygiene and sanitation in relation to health.
- The process of hygiene and sanitation behaviour change and the key factors that influence it.
- Practical facilitation skills of PHAST, CHAST and CLTS methodologies through in house simulation activities and field activities.
The training will use exploratory learning, small group discussions, plenary brainstorming, facilitator’s input, case studies and video documentaries.
The training cost is US$ 750 which covers the tuition fees, learning materials, meals and refreshments at the training venue. Further information will be provided upon inquiry.
This course is offered at least once every quarter. Please check our Onsite Courses page for the actual dates.
Tailor-made training option
We can provide your organization a tailor-made training with similar content but addressing your specific needs. In case you want to explore this option, you can contact us to share with you a proposal for that training.
Accommodation will be arranged upon request. However, the charges will be borne by the individual participant.
Applicants should complete our Course Application Form and submit it before the specified deadline for their admission to be processed.
Language of Instruction
English and French
Testimonial from our previous trainee
RISPER WERE NYAKOA (WASH Program Officer) Norwegian Church Aid (NCA), Somalia Program
“The training has been very informative and interactive. I have understood the application of PHAST, CLTS and CHAST approaches. I will promote the use of CLTS in our program area to end the recurrent cases of Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) outbreaks. I recommend other people to attend this training in future if their aim is to end hygiene and sanitation problems in their areas of operation.”